As the new year approaches, it’s natural to think about setting resolutions for the upcoming year. If you’re looking to make some changes around your home in 2023, here are a few ideas for New Year’s resolutions to consider:
- Clean up clutter: If you’re tired of tripping over clutter and feeling overwhelmed by the stuff in your home, consider making it a resolution to declutter in 2023. Start by tackling one room or area at a time, such as that junk drawer in the kitchen or the hallway closet. As you make your way through the consider donating or selling items you no longer need or use. Organizations like Blue Ridge Foster Love and The Mercy house are always looking for gently used items to help those in need.
- Have a professional clean and maintain your HVAC system: Your heating and cooling system is an essential part of your home, and it’s important to keep it in good working order. In fact, when it comes to inspections during a real estate transaction HVAC systems are one of the most common issues reported as deficient. Consider hiring a professional to clean and maintain your HVAC system in the new year to ensure it’s running efficiently and effectively. Some local companies even offer discounts if you sign up for an annual maintenance plan.
- Invest in small upgrades: If you’re looking to make some improvements to your home, but don’t want to break the bank, consider making some small upgrades. This could include replacing outdated lighting fixtures, installing new faucets, or giving a room a fresh coat of paint. These types of upgrades can have a big impact on the look and feel of your home, without requiring a lot of time or money.
- Increase home safety: Keeping your home safe should always be a priority, and there are a number of steps you can take to make your home more secure. Consider installing a home security system, replacing old locks, or adding outdoor lighting to deter burglars. You can also take steps to prevent accidents and injuries, such as installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, and keeping a well-stocked first aid kit on hand.
- Enhance the curb appeal of your home: Don’t wait until spring to start planning projects that will enhance the curb appeal of your home. Most home improvement companies and plan nurseries are already booking projects for the spring, so by making your plans now, you avoid the wait and the disaster having to pick from the leftovers. Painting exterior doors/trim, power washing, and adding new color to flower beds are a great places to start if you are on a budget. Replacing faded shutters, exterior lights, and exterior paint can cost a bit more, but add tremendous value to your home.
By setting these types of resolutions for your home in 2023, you’ll be well on your way to creating a more organized, efficient, and safe living space. Not only will completing these resolutions renew your love for house and home, but they will add to your home’s value. If your not sure where to start consider a professional home inspection to help you identify and prioritize your resolution list. Also, if you are thinking about selling your home, contact a member of our team for a free consultation and we’ll help you identify those home resolutions that will have the greatest impact on your home’s value.